Week 8: Facing fears & fancy foods

I’ve been a bit under the weather this week. A nasty cold has been doing the rounds in our house, so my daily new things have been things I can tackle fairly easily, whilst feeling crook (that’s unwell, for any non-Australian readers out there). I am proud to say though, that I still managed to do 1 thing new every day.  So without further ado, here’s what week 8 held in store for me.

Day 50: BMX racing (not quite racing…)

There’s a BMX track not too far from my house that I regularly take my son to. I usually sit on the bench and watch as he and his friends (and often his Dad) tear around it doing jumps and tricks that have me on the edge of my seat.

Well, on day 50 I thought it was way past time I had a go. As a kid, I’d never done more than ride my bike around the streets of our nice, safe residential suburb. I’d never tried jumping up the kerbs or over ramps or anything the least challenging. Now as we headed off early for a brisk bike ride through the park to the BMX track, I was hoping I wouldn’t injure myself in any way.  We set off early at 7 o’clock in the morning, hoping that no one else would be there. No such luck. As we approached we saw a man and two young kids on the BMX track.

I didn’t really want to have a go with an audience. What if I fell off? Or just made a fool of myself in general? No, I talked myself into going at least once around the track and who cared, if some random stranger was looking on?

The jumps and humps on the BMX track look far bigger when you’re on them than when you are watching. I pushed my bike up to the top of the largest one (the starting point) and looked down what seemed like a huge hill (it probably wasn’t more than about 5 ft. – but boy did it look high from the top!) My 9 year old took off without any hesitation, leaving me dithering behind him. So I took a deep breath, and pushed off down the hill. As the first mound/hump (whatever you call it) loomed I was petrified I wouldn’t hit it square and topple over. But I managed to ride over it right in the middle on the worn path. From then on it was pretty much smooth sailing over the little humps, until I came to a corner, which I almost made – thanks to my breaks I didn’t come off though. I had one more go round the track, which was almost as nerve wracking as my first attempt – I really didn’t want to come off my bike –  then we headed home.

They say you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, but I think that is RUBBISH! I felt really pleased for giving it a go and conquering my fear.

Day 51: The health food shop

On day 51 I visited the local bulk foods, health food store. It felt almost as exotic as to me as my visit to the Asian supermarket, last month. There were all sorts of strange foods lined up like roasted dandelion and edible flowers. I spent quite a while just browsing the aisles and reading the colourful packages. I really liked the bulk food section. There were large tubs of grains, nuts, rice etc. and customers are encouraged to bring their own containers to fill. I wish the supermarkets would cotton on to this! I bought a couple of items to try, but won’t be shopping there regularly. The price is so much higher than the supermarket, I just cannot afford it!

Day 52: Coconut Kefir –  a taste sensation I’d like to forget!

For day 52’s new thing I tried coconut kefir, which I had bought the day before at the health food shop. Kefir is a fermented drink. Coconut kefir is made by fermenting coconut water with kefir bacteria which aid in good digestion, gut health and have a range of other health benefits.Coconut Kefir

As you can see from the above picture the brand I bought has a lovely label. And that’s the nicest thing about it. It is really gross. It tastes somewhat salty and altogether unpalatable. The worst thing is it was pretty expensive too! I won’t be drinking that again no matter how good it is for you!

Day 53: Chicken mince

chicken-minceUp until day 53 I had never cooked chicken mince before. Now I know chicken mince is not a particularly unusual food, but somehow, I’d never prepared a meal with it. Chicken mince is a strange consistency, far squishier than other mince meats, but other than that, there was nothing particularly remarkable about the cooking experience. I did however, make a delicious san choy bow that everyone enjoyed. Now that I will be having again!

Day 54: I tried Kombucha – a far more pleasant experiencekombucha

After trying (and disliking) kefir, I was a bit hesitant to try the bottle of kombucha I had bought at the health food shop. Like kefir, Kombucha is a fermented drink; it is a slightly fizzy sweetened tea, which has been attributed (you guessed it) with all types of health benefits. The brand I bought was passion fruit flavoured and I am happy to say it was quite tasty and refreshing. I shared it with my son and he enjoyed it too.

Day 55: Downloaded the Bitmoji app and created my avatarBitmoji

My son has been hounding me to create my avatar on bitmoji, so today downloaded the app. I’ve added some wrinkles to make it more realistic, but my avatar doesn’t really resemble me. Anyway, it made him happy and was a fun way to spend an hour or so.

Day 56: Cooking with flax seed flour

I am trying to cut out carbs at the moment, and found a few recipes that called for almond flour. It’s quite expensive so I bought flax seed flour which is a good deal cheaper. Anyway, I made a bacon and cheese mug biscuit – mmm tastes as bad as it sounds. Don’t know if it’s because I substituted the almond flour for flax seed flour, or whether the recipe is just yuck. Anyway, I couldn’t eat it, but the dog liked it!

Day 57: Meditation

I’ve never been good at sitting still and the idea of meditation has never really appealed to me but everywhere you look these days, people are recommending meditation and ‘just being in the moment’. I can’t bear the softly spoken, slow – supposedly calming – voices used for guided meditations (they make me want to scream!). So I decided I would sit quietly and focus on my breathing instead.

I set my timer for 10 minutes, found a comfortable spot on the floor, crossed my legs, closed my eyes and focused on my breathing. Every time my mind wandered (which was lots!) I brought my thoughts back to my breath. The 10 minutes seemed to pass very quickly. I certainly felt calmer and more relaxed after my meditation. I should try and fit a 10 minute meditation into my daily routine, or at least once or twice a week, because it did leave me feeling good. But, as you know by now, I am not very organised so whether I will actually manage to set time aside to meditate is another thing!

Have you conquered any fears or tried any new foods? Tell us all about it in the comments section. I’d particularly like to know if anyone meditates and how they fit it in to their schedules.

Bye for now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *